Paul Venkman: Under Control single cover

JP, who has put on many of the events I’ve photographed at over the last few years asked me to take some portrait photos for him to use on his new CD Release cover: “Paul Venkman, Under Control”. The brief was to get a portrait photo of him which would then be manipulated by a digital artist (Scott D’Arcy) for the cover. He wanted to have a bit of a down, soulful look for it.

I’ve never done any proper portrait photography before, so I just had to make it up! We used some lighting rigging he had to hang a sheet (which I ironed to get the wrinkles out) and then used his LED lights, directed at the corners of the kitchen to try and soften the reflections a bit. It wasn’t great for a neutral background, but it was enough for me to get something which Scott could use. We tried a whole range of expressions, directions and teeshirts to try and get a feel. It was quite entertaining, but in the end I think we were both happy with what we got.
So, here is what I captured:

Here is the final result after Scott had worked on it:

Check out his new single:

[bandcamp width=400 height=274 album=2161894080 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 artwork=small]

We Dig For Fire Promotional Photos

I’ve taken pictures of We Dig for Fire a couple of times over the past few years, so ended up being friends with some of them on Facebook.  Late last year, their front man Andy P dropped me a line and asked me if I’d do them some Promotional shots. Eep.   I’ve never done any shots that weren’t live (or at least, candid, non-posed pictures of friends) so I was pretty nervous, and really unsure of what to do.  Also, I really didn’t have a lens!   Luckily, Andy S came to the rescue and loaned me his EF 14-40mm f/4.0 USM lens (he likes to call it wideboy) which appeared to be pretty perfect for the job!

Doing the shoot, I had really no idea what I was doing, and didn’t really guide the band into the shots, they just kinda of milled around while I took shots and attempted to work out what might work.  In the end though, I did manage to get a bunch of shots I was happy with, and the through the use of some serious Lightroom manipulation, turned into some shots I was actually quite happy with.

Next time, I need to properly talk with the subjects and make sure we’ve got a good idea what we are after and attempt to create it, rather than just luck my way though!

We Dig For Fire

Facebook Page